re: Utricularia

Tsuh Yang wrote:
> does anyone know the scientific name of the common
> aquatic bladderwort?

Depends where you are.  In eastern USA, the common species include
Utricularia gibba, U. inflata, and U. radiata, among others.  I recently
put both U. gibba and a putative U. inflata in my tank, and I think some
of the big southern species like U. foliosa would look really nice in an
aquarium.

Further north, you've got Utricularia minor and Utricularia macrorhiza
which both have circumboreal ranges.  U. macrorhiza is also called "common
bladderwort," so perhaps that is the one you are thinking of.

Nick

--
Nicholas Plummer
nplummer at duke_edu