Filter placement

Hey all,
I just received my Magnum 350 filter and hope to get it set up on my 29g this
weekend, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on the placement of the
inlet and outlet tubes.  Of course in the diagram they suggest placing them
right next to each other, but that obviously isn't great for tank circulation.
Should I put one low at one end of the tank and one high at the other?  Which
should be near the surface, the outlet or inlet?  Any suggestions would be
great.  Thanks!