Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #133

In a message dated 4/24/03 4:24:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

> Re: Bulbs in Coralife CF fixtures
>
> The actinic is of no use in freshwater planted aquaria, as far as I
> know.  Someone has even gone so far to tell me that it encourages algae
> growth.  When I had a 50/50 CF fixture over my 75 gallon tank (something
> that was encouraged by the know-nothings at the LFS), my water turned pea
> soup green, and algae grew out of control on everything, despite whatever I
> did to curb its growth (water changes, no fertilization, blocking out
> light, cutting back feedings, etc).  As soon as I changed to a 6700K
> daylight bulb, all my problems disappeared.  This was after a 3 1/2 week
> bout with pea-soup water.
>
> Hope this helps...anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

I've used them on all 5 of my 29 gallons and I've never had that problem. In
fact one of the 5 is even algae free! ;)

Seriously, I don't think they cause that problem, and I like the hue they
cast.

              Gerry Skau
              All The World's A Stage, But The Play Is Badly Cast---Oscar
Wilde

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---