Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #147

Kirk,

       I dont know that what your lfs is doing goes against the knowledge
base of the list. What many people look for is nutrient balance. It is easier
for a beginner to get decent results by adding CO2 that it is to run a nice
non-CO2 tank. CO2 with moderate light levels can be more forgiving than a
high light/CO2 or any non - CO2 tank. Leave it to our Plant Buddha Tom to
show us the middle path without pointing in any direction.

-Z-

> Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 20:42:30 -0500
> From: Kirk Melton <triax at bellsouth_net>
> Subject: LFS vs APD wisdom
>
> Hi all...  there is  a local fish store near where I live that preaches a
> lot of stuff  regarding plant care.  A lot of what they preach is NOT in
> line with what I have read on the internet and on APD.  All of their
> display tanks (as well as the ones they sell out of) have conventional
> powerhead driven UGFs, have plenty of surface agitation due to bubbles
> rising, have compact fluorescent lighting (not against APD wisdom), no
> gravel supplementations,  and NO CO2 injection.  The growth is always lush,
>
> and well kept.  They have a variety of plants growing on rocks and
> driftwood, as well as amazon swords which constantly bloom, the most
> beautiful crypt balansae I have seen, a carpet of microswords, some
> beautiful red melon swords, and many others.  And, no, I don't think they
> are changing out the plants every few weeks.  This is  an old established
> tank - but, they just broke it down and re-did it about 6 months ago.  I
> was in the store today and the assistant manager was telling a woman there
> who could not get plants to grow in her tank to buy an airpump and stone to
>
> put aerate the water, which would stimulate plant growth -- the asst.
> manager has been there for over 8 years now, and this store has been in
> business for over 20, and the owner preaches the same thing -- UGF and
> plenty of aeration for plant growth.  They DO add Flourish and Flourish
> Trace & Iron a few times a week to all tanks.  Why is this working for
> them, but it would never work for me?  I have to inject CO2 and keep my
> water surface virtually still to get results.  What's the rationale for
> these suggestions by the LFS?  I almost jumped out of my skin when she was
> telling the customer to do this.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---