Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #136

In a message dated 4/27/03 4:02:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

> >Thanks for your easily understood response, Giancarlo.  If I'm interpreting
> >this correctly, it sounds as though root fertilization might -- big might
> >there -- reduce the number of "aerial" roots.  I consider some, but not
> all,
> >of them to be unsightly.
>
> I think it's more likely a response to needing more O2 for root
> respiration.
> Much like Cypress knees in swamps or Mangrove roots' allowing O2 for root
> respiration. A number of wetland plants do this.
> There's no source of O2 down in the wetland substrates.

I'm sorry, Tom, but I didn't even take high school chemistry!  As the
original post said, lots of this stuff just goes w-a-y over my head.  I don't
understand what "02 for root respiration means.  Could you break that down
for this aquatic plant illiterate -- please?

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---