Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #135

Torrence asked:
" I am either going to purchase a Vortex Diatom XL or a Tetra UV1
sterilizer.  Which would you guys suggest as the best investment from your
experience."

I think I bought my Vortex Diatom XL in 1983.  I am still using the original
paper bag.  It is just so versatle and realiable, I would get one before
buying the UV.  You can always use it as a regular filter.

1)  Buy your diatomaceous earth at the pool store, 25 pounds for about 8
dollars.  Use 3 or 4 cups to charge the filter.  Use a Rubbermaid
rectangular shaped pitcher to charge it.  Once the pump is running put the
inlet and outlets into the pitcher without letting the inlet come out of the
water.  Then add the diatomaceous earth to the pitcher.

2) Do not try to clear all of the green water.  It can quickly clog the
pump.  Clean out the Algae in your tank, and do a 75 to 90 percent water
change first.  The XL will keep the water clear until you get your tank
parameters right.  The filter material will actually turn green.  Remember
it is not the cure.

Steve Pituch
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/