RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #120

----
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 11:10:06 -0500
From: "Walter B. Klockers" <jloach at onlinetoday_com>
Subject: Re: SAE's & Java Moss

Pete,

I had 4 full grown SAE's in my 80. When I introduced Java Moss, they
immediately went to it and stripped it so that it no longer looked like
moss, but tiny green threads. I no longer have them in my tank. That's been
my experience.

When visiting a friend's house (and his nice planted tanks), I noticed that
his Java Moss was nothing but threads. Sure enough, one of his SAE's came
out into the open and started in on the Java Moss (as well as uprooting
hairgrass).

Rick says he's had no problems with them. Hey, Rick, care to sell those
particular SAE's? ;-)

Walter B. Klockers
Plano, TX

I have to admit that I was surprised by the responses from people who have
this problem. I was watching mine today and they not only don't eat Java
Moss they seem to stay away from it. My SAE's are all over the broad leaf
plants eating a bit of hair algae but have nothing to do with the Moss. I'm
heading to my LFS on Tuesday which is two for one day as they have nice
young SAE's in stock. Two for 5 bucks (Cdn). They do a great job with the
algae when young however they quickly adapt to flake or other food as they
age.

Rick