Re:Copper Sulfate in fish food

> The ingredient lists Copper Sulfate as a main ingredient. Copper is
>  poisonous to invertebrates such as algae eating shrimp. There is always
>  left over food that the shrimp eat. The shrimp seem to be disappearing.
>  Is this a reasonable conclusion?

I checked my OSI fish food and found that indeed copper sulfate is listed as
an ingredient. I'm not sure I would call it a main ingredient since it is
almost last on the list of ingredients. In a list of ingredients the
ingredient listed first is the main ingredient as you go down the list you
get to things that are really just traces. since copper sulfate is poisonous
to both fish and inverts in anything less than trace quantities it seems
unlikely fish food would contain anything but trace amounts of Copper
sulfate. I breed crayfish and shrimp and have never had any problems with
copper build up in my breeding vats even though I seldom do any water
changes. I would bet that copper from plumbing would be a greater threat than
copper from food.

Moon