MINT TEA

I've been trying out some local plants in a planted
aquarium. One in particular, Pennyroyal mint (Mentha
pulegium
http://www.annettesherbgarden.com/pages/images/pennyroyal.jp
g) is doing well and is quite attractive, looks like
a cross between a Hygrophila and a Bacopa. Its been growing
steadily for a couple of months now with side shoots popping
out at the nodes whenever its top is pinched so it's
becoming to look quite bushy. I don't know what will happen
when the tank's temperature rises to over 26C in summer.

Pennyroyal is not a true aquatic although it is found in
marshy habitats and in temporary rain water pools,
occasionally found growing submerged. Its got a strong minty
smell that in spring fills the sunny countryside wherever it
grows. Its very easy to identify. Just crush a leaf and
smell. But the smell is lost when it grows submerged so don'
t imagine a mint tea scented aquarium. The smell is mainly
to ward off insect herbivores so the plant does not need it
when under water.

Pennyroyal is a Mediteranean plant, but the mint family is
widespres. Has anyone tried any other mints in the aquarium,
Water mint (Mentha aquatica) in particular? I'd like to hear
about it.

Regards

Stephan
Malta

---
[This E-mail was scanned for spam and viruses by NextGen.net.]