Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #107

On Thursday 03 April 2003 14:23, Scott H. wrote:

> Thanks, Roger, that's some of the best I've read about iron
> in I can't remember how long.

Thanks.  Glad you liked it :)

> Anyone: what does iron excess look like, I mean in the
> tank, not in the wallet ;-)

According to me hydroponics source iron toxicity is unlikely unless the pH
drops below 5.  These symptoms would be in the greenhouse, not in the tank:
excessively green growth and deficiencies of manganese and/or zinc.  I'm not
too sure how you determine when the green is excessive.

The same source describes manganese deficiency thusly: "Interveinal chlorosis
on leaves near the tip of the plant. Leaves may develop necrotic lesions and
drop."   And zinc deficiency with "Shortened internodes, young leaves are
small, may show interveinal chlorosis."

I think this is the first time I've ever used the word "thusly."

It sounds to me like you might actually need a plant analysis to diagnose the
problem.

Roger Miller