Re: K2SO4 and MgSO4

Ric wrote:

>Forgive my ignorance of chemistry, but if the important part of K2SO4 is
>the K, is that the same K as is found in KNO3?  In other words, is the
>tank getting K from both K2SO4 and KNO3?

Yep, the K in K2SO4 is the same as the one in KNO3.  But your plants may
not get enough K from KNO3 alone, hence the need for K2SO4 or whatever.

>And so the amount of K2SO4 one
>adds is really dependent upon how much KNO3 one is adding?

That's how I approach it.  I shoot for the Tom Barr recommendation of
20-30ppm K.  My tanks generally get enough KNO3 through the week to add
around 10ppm K or more, so, once a week after the water change, I add
another 10ppm K via K2SO4 -- that dose is a slightly heaped 1/4tsp K2SO4
per 20 gallons.

Definitely check out Chuck Gadd's dosage calculator that TW told you
about.  The rest of Chuck's site is excellent, too.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee