nana needs your help....

I took my Anubias out of my tank and put it in a jar with lots of water and
potting soil. The water covers the crown of the plant and the old submerged
leaves died off. I expected the leaves to die back but haven't seen any new
leaves form after being in this jar for three weeks. Should just the roots
be in the water for the plant to put out new leaves?

If the crown is covered, will the plant still act as if it is submerged, but
new leaves won't grow because they are above the water surface? Need help to
keep nana from rotting or worse yet dying!

-Travis