Re:Sand/substrate, algae, aeration/circulation, etc.

At 03:45 AM 3/25/2003, Jason wrote:

>I am on the verge of completely redoing my 55 gal tall planted tank.  It is
>in need of cleaning, and I'm thinking that several factors should be changed
>in the process.  Here's the current details/problems:
>
>#1. Flourite substrate w/sand on top.  The sand looks cool, but everything
>(fish poop, food, etc.) all just sits on top of it and looks ugly (+
>decays).  What's a better solution?  Just Stirring it up w/the flourite?
>Smaller gravel instead of the sand?

Jason,

What was your thinking on having a two-layer substrate with Flourite on the
bottom? I see three problems:

    1. The sand will definitely tend to sink through the Flourite
        and end up on the bottom as you move things, and even
        if you don't move things.

    2. The problem you are having, that mulm shows badly
        on sand but tends to disappear in Flourite.

    3. I don't understand what advantage you could achieve with
        this particular combination.

Have you considered 100% Flourite?