re: Why do water changes?

There are many reasons to do frequent water changes.
One, as you said, is to remove fish toxic waste.

But equally important is that micronutrients are often
depleted without water changes.  If you test your KH
and GH in a tank without water changes, you will
probably find that they will decrease over time.  In
fact, I discovered that this was the problem I was
having with rotala wallichii not doing well.  Added
TMG like crazy without effect, but water changes cured
it.

Arthur
http://taopa.com