Re: Sand/substrate, algae, aeration/circulation, etc.

Hi Jason, I have 2 clown loaches in my 55 gallon tank and they have
eliminated every trace of snails. I don't know how the Botia Striata is with
snails but if he's anything like my clowns I doubt your tank will be taken
over with snails. BTW I have also had clown loaches that couldn't care less
about the snails so it might be worth giving it a shot and see how it goes.
I used to have one of those loaches but don't remember what he used to do
with snails. Regarding circulation, you could try changing the position of
your filter uptake and return. Mixing the substrate might help, you're
looking for a darker tone to better hide the waste that settles on the
substrate right? My cichlid tank is somewhat the same, white sand and you
can see all the poop. Playing with filter flow and current also helped me
with this problem, lately the current brings a lot of the waste towards the
filter intake which I lowered and moved recently, what isn't sucked up seems
to settle in the vicinity so it's easier now to vacum out than before when
it just used to fall anywhere.
Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio