Re: Potting soil for substrate

>Does anyone have experiences using potting soil as a substrate?

>I like to put 1" of soil at the bottom and cover it with 2.5" of gravel.

I use regular garden soil mixed with a little beech leaf mould in one of my 60 litre tanks.
I've got on well with it and its worked well for me. I use about an inch and a half of soil topped off
with approx an inch of 2-3mm coarse gravel. If your interested in soil based substrates I'd advise you to read 'Ecology of the Planted Aquarium' by Diana Walstad as it covers soil based substrates in some detail.
Hope this helps
Andy Squires