stained Bolbitis

Is there any way to prevent older leaves of Bolbitis
from turning a green so dark they almost look black?
It looks like they may have tiny black dots on them.
It is apparently _not_ algae.  The plant I have is
quickly turning into a beast, but I think it could
look a little better.  New leaves are a nice lighter
green, but a lot of times that doesn't last.

Kasellmann mentions that it can get that way if the pH
is too high, but that definitely isn't the problem for
me.  I suppose it could just be that that's natural,
but I've never kept it before now so I don't really
know.  Any way to keep the leaves "fresh"?

Thanks, Cavan