Re: Onyx Sand vs Gravel and Laterite for Discus?

I don't have discus (yet, maybe someday...), but I do have Onyx.
For the first 6 months it did raise my KH from about 1 to 4.  But
since I was adding CO2 it wasn't a big deal, it just meant I didn't
have to add baking soda after water changes.  Now after 6 months
it's stopped buffering the water and I'm back to adding baking
soda. :-/

As far as looks, I like it a lot.  It tends to turn more grayish
as time goes on, but by then most of the groundcover plants should
be established.

So all in all, I'd say go for it.

-Eric