Volcanite

Frank wrote:

> Volcanite, the mineral, is an old mineral name used as a synonym
> of pyroxene and a variety of sulfur containing less than one percent
> selenium.
>
> Volcanite, the rock, is an extrusive rock composed chiefly of
> anorthoclase, andesine and augite phenochrysts in a glassy
> groundmass containing feldspar and augite microlites.
>
> I assume Volcanit is a trade name.
>
> VR,
> Frank

I knew there would be someone here who knew something about rocks.  Now
if you could say this again for the totally uneducated – does is stuff
helpful for a planted tank substrate, bad for a planted tank substrate,
or none of the above?

It occurred to me that perhaps volcanit was a German word so I checked
babelfish/altavista for a translation.  It was the same word.  There was
an option to do a search and right after AB=-Aqualine's website was the
following site http://www.actahort.org/books/126/126_8.htm.
The abstract for the paper there is below.

ISHS Acta Horticulturae 126: Symposium on Substrates in Horticulture
other than Soils In Situ
RETENTION OF IONS BY VOLCANIT SAND USED IN HYDROPONIC CULTURES

Author:
A. Luque
Abstract:
Volcanic sands were treated with nutrient solutions for a period of six
weeks and were washed with deionized water (until constant conductivity)
for several weeks. These basaltic materials had been used in commercial
hydroponic cultures for 6-, 5-, 4-, and 1 year, while another, as
control, had not been used before. The activity of the materials on the
NH+4-, NO-3-, H2PO-4-, K+-, Ca++-, Mg++, and Na+ contents of the
nutrient solution was examined. All material had retention of NH+4 and
H2PO-4, and released K+, Ca++, Mg++ and Na+. The non used material is
the one which had the lowest activity in the nutrient solution
composition. The pH of the material decreased about 1 unit (from 8 to
7). The NH4-Acetate extractable Ca++, Mg++, and Na+ and the NaHCO3
extractable P increased after treatments. There was also a nitrification
of the NH+4 retained, increasing the NO-3 in the nutrient solutions
except in the non-used material.

Although I have had more than a few chemistry classes, I do not
understand how most of this pertains to planted tanks.  But from what I
have seen it would appear that most of the stuff in these sands are
pretty good for plants and seem to be enhanced by the treatment they
mention.

Unfortunately I have still not heard to my e-mail to AB-Aqualine about
Volcanit and so I have no idea if this is what their product is.

Thanks
Charles