Wet Leaves and Dry Leaves (was: Submergent/emergent)

Thanks to all who replied. I guess I didn't phrase my question well, because
nobody gave me the info I was looking for.

When a plant is growing half in the water (wet leaves) and half above the
water (dry leaves), do all the leaves change to the above-water form? Or do
the ones under water stay in their wet form? Or do the ones under water fall
off, leaving ugly bare stems?

Rachel