Re: How much light is reflected by a glass cover?

About 8% at normal incidence and even more at angles off of 90 degrees.
Each surface reflects about 4%, and there are two. I'd guess average
reflected light to be at least 15%-20% if the source is close to the
glass. Some, but usually not much, is rerefected into the tank.

In the important red end of the spectrum, a 1/4" cover glass can also
absorb another 15% of the useful light, again at normal incidence, and
more at other angles. [If the glass looks green at the edges, it absorbs
red light.] Make that another 20-30% loss of useful light. Since it is
only in the red end, it might be 10% of the useful photosynthetic energy.

All told, I expect a clean cover glass to waste maybe 25% of the useful
energy, so it is pretty significant. [Unfortunately, my fish are all
killies, and air just doesn't keep them in the tanks. :-)]

Wright

--

    Q.  How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?

    A.  Nobody knows - it's never been tried.

                    www.sfbaka.net