Re: VERY cloudy Water, Part 2 (The saga continues)

     * From: "Kevin Sheller" <kevmo at arenafan_com>

If it is really bacteria, I would expect there to be growths of
bacteria attached to surfaces---jelly-like or soft pale white films.
Surfaces should get slippery from the film.  I would also expect
there to be a big increase in protozoa feeding on the bacteria.
There should be ciliates visible to the naked eye or with a small
magnifying glass moving about at the surface and on the sides of the
tank. If it is really bacteria, you should be able to draw off some
of the water, let it sit in a glass jar for a few days and the
cloudiness should clear up.  Daphnia should feed on it, multiply, and
clear it up quickly, if you have access to them.

I looked at your pictures, and I am thinking that the cloudiness is
so dense that if it really were bacteria, there would be a bad smell
and oxygen would be so low that the fish would be gasping at the
surface.  I am thinking that it could be some kind of chemical
precipitate, although I can't imagine why the diatom filter didn't
clear it up.  In your first post you said that you raised the pH
during week 2, but you also said that the CO2 supply wasn't enough to
lower the pH.   Just what chemical or chemicals did you add, and did
you raise or lower the pH?  Did the cloudiness appear soon after you
changed the pH?
--
Paul Krombholz in cloudy central Mississippi