Re: Stunted growth - Algae growth

     * From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>

.....I'm getting pretty frustrated with the tank, given that I apparently have
never been on top of the algae, only having it suppressed by the SAE. Maybe
I'll just chuck it........

The plant, whatever it is, looks like an interesting one.  Before
just chucking the tank, try a dose of epsom salts (MgSO4) and see if
the growth of the plants improves.  I am not sure that the symptoms
of the plant in the picture are Mg deficiency.  It is just a guess.
I recently discovered that my plants had been suffering from
magnesium deficiency, and they looked sort of like the one in your
picture.

  Snails also use magnesium, and I think it likely that plants are not
extremely efficient at getting magnesium from the water when it is at
low levels.  I was having a lot of problems with plants that would
not grow, older leaves dying and bluegreen algae taking over without
being eaten by the snail population. The deficient plants had
distorted tips on their leaves, and the older leaves died.  Crypts
had repeated meltdowns or just lost their older leaves and had
distorted and curled tips on their newer leaves.    Adding more MgSO4
solved all the problems. The snails started growing and eating up the
algae.  The plants started growing and looking much more healthy.  I
feel that I am back in business again!
--
Paul Krombholz in warm central Mississippi, expecting rain tomorrow.