DIY Sump

Thank you for all the good links on DIY hoods!
I too am intrested in links on DIY stands.
But mostly I'm intrested in understanding the mechanics of DIY sumps.
Tom presented a novel way with plastic buckets & Bioballs, but I never really understood the priciple. Is this thing with bioballs a novelty? and what are they good for? Are bigger balls better than smaller ones? Can it be achieved with other materials as well?
So if anyone have links to step by step descriptions on how to build a sump, I'd appreciate it.
By the way. How big shall a sump be for a 540 Litres tank?
A 1500 Litres tank?

/Greger