Plastic Ornaments and Bad Odors

Has anyone else experienced a problem with hollow plastic aquarium ornaments
such as caves and fake driftwood?  In short, whenever I place one of these
objects in my tank, it invariably, over time, begins to generate a foul
odor.  My best guess is that gasses become trapped inside the object and
begin to react with the plastic generating a strong chemical smell.  As a
result, I no longer use hollow, synthetic materials.  Does anyone have any
theories?  Thanks.

Jack