Re: Canister Review -- or - Rinsing my Socks

Scott H. wrote in regard to canister filters:

>I also put a foam sock on the
>intake -- it's a lot easier to rinse out the sock than to
>the internal media.  The sock greatly prolongs time between
>cleanings.

My filters wear socks, too.  I don't know if these are made anymore, but
the best sock I've ever found for typically sized filters are the refills
for the Tetrabilli sponge filters from Tetra.  They are cylindrical, black,
dense, and last for years.  Another helpful thing is that they are
"predrilled" and slip right over the intake tube with no muss and little fuss.

>   How often I (need to) rinse out my socks
>depends on the tank -- some socks load up faster than
>others.

Well, I rinse my socks at least once a week whether they really need it or
not.  The sock/prefilter should be thought of strictly as a mechanical
filter.  Along with extending the maintenance cycle of the main filter, the
idea is to remove larger debris from the tank before it has a chance to
break down and add to the nutrient load.  That's the theory I'm operating
on anyway.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee