Re: night light

Thomas Barr said, in part <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
> Some weak
> light from the room
> or real weak diffused moon light is okay. I'd go with red
> color for a night
> light or get a nightviewing scope:-)
> Having had plecos and other come out only at night
> critters for many years,
> the very low light behind the tank etc seemed pretty
> good.
>
> I don't think it's that big of deal overall. I just would
> not leave it on
> unless I am watching the tank. So the lamp on the table
> away from the tank
> works pretty good and keeps the mess in the tank at a
> minimum.

Chuck Gadd's excellent web site has an article on making an
LED night light:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_nightlight.htm .

Cheap to do and pretty easy if you know how to solder.
With the newer superbright/ultrbright LEDs that are
available, you can get a nice effect with just a few LEDs.
Combining red, green, and blue LEDs will give a more or
less whitish overall effect with lots of reg, green, blue
tones in different places.  You can also get white LEDs.
So long as you don't overddrive them or overheat them when
you solder, they will last for years and make great night
lights.

Scott H.