Pearling

I would like some information of what causes pearling in higher order plants.
 Also, I have the feeling that what I see as massive pearling, at times, when
the tanks are somewhat neglected, is really algae or (worse) BGA pearling. Is
that what I'm really looking at?  Is pearling always O2?  Or can it also be
CO2?  Additionally, I see quite a lot after water changes; my well water
(gravity flow from improved spring @ 52 lbs pressure) is CO2 saturated -
probably in the 25 ppm range.  Is this O2 or CO2?

Thanks for the help,
Sharon

multipart/alternative
  text/html