Re: How deep will plants grow

David Marshburn wrote:

>............(as much as 60-70% of the root tissue of aquatic
>plants is gas storage, and gas storage and movement structures are present
>throughout aquatic plants)................

I would like to know more about the movement structures.  How do
aquatic plants move the gas in their lacunae?  I thought that gasses
got around in a submerged plant's air systems just by diffusion.  I
did read an article by Ole Pedersen about gas transport in the yellow
water lily, but the mechanism for that depended on the leaves of the
lily being exposed to air.

--
Paul Krombholz in rapidly cooling central Mississippi, where a strong
cold front just blasted through.