Re:jettisoning Rataj & Horeman

From: David Whittaker <dwhitt at sympatico_ca>

>...... I think that it's time to put my Rataj & Horeman up
>for auction and purchase the Kasselmann book.

Rataj & Horeman's attempts to revise Echinodorus and Cryptocoryne
taxonomy have not been accepted, and Kasslemann is now the aquatic
plant author who is in touch with the latest taxonomic thinking.
However, I think that the Rataj & Horeman book is still worth
keeping.  It has nice photographs, and many odd-ball plants (such as
Pilularia) that are not in many other books.  Often their advice on
growing a certain species is based on their experience and seems to
be right on target.  R&H seems to be transitional from the old
fashioned to the modern aquarium plant book.

I keep all my old aqaurium books even if they are really outdated,
such as Encyclopedia of Water Plants, 1967, by Jiri Stodola.  Now,
there is a book that is really only of value as a collector's item.
--
Paul Krombholz in moderating central Mississippi having one of the
driest Januaries on record.