Re: Echinodorus maior

....Rataj and Horeman indicate that E. maior is propagated by floating the
rhizome and not by its sending out runners as is done by E. parviflorus
etc. Has anyone else seen runners produced by E. maior? Do people here
think that the runners are due to the increase in light intensity or the
lengthening of the night?......

Given an uncrowded location and good light, I have had it reproduce
by sending up a flower stem, which, in the typical fashion of the
larger swords, produces not only flowers, but also one or two
plantlets per node.  These can be removed after they have developed
several leaves and roots.  This is the same way that E. parviflorus
propagates.  I really wouldn't consider the flower stalk of E.
parviflorus a runner, at least it is nothing like the runners of the
small turf-forming Echinodorus species like E. tenellus, E.
quadricostatus, etc.  The name, E. maior is, I think, a misspelling
of E. major that got into Rataj & Horeman and several other aquarium
plant books; in any event, it is now called E. martii in Kasselmann).
The flower stem of E. martii is unusally thick, even thicker than the
flower stems of the really large swords.  Rataj & Horeman say that it
is not propagated by forming young plants on floral stalks, but they
are just plain wrong.  I have had over 20 plantlets form on one stalk.

--
Paul Krombholz in warming central Mississippi, where we had one day
last week where the high was 28 deg. F, and the low next morning was