Re: New setup opinions

In a message dated 1/23/03 8:46:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,

> 110 gallon tall tank (glass)
> JBJ 1200 light (4 bulb compact fluorescent - 2 daylight, 2 actinic) and
> standoffs to raise light a few inches above the tank
> Seachem Fluorite substrate (may mix 50/50 with sand)
> Canister filter (undecided on brand and/or size), mostly filled with
> sponge filtering
> Aquanetics 25W UV sterilizer
> Overflow (trickle?) box to skim surface

Jonathan, may I suggest that if you're going to use Fluorite that you use
100% Fluorite?  As an experiment, I have set up three 10-gallon tanks as an
experiment: 1) 100% Fluorite, 2) 50/50 Fluorite/Gravel, and 3) 100% Gravel.
The difference in plant growth has been absolutely amazing!  The tank with
100% Fluorite is actually providing food for my greedy little Silver Dollars,
gifts for friends, and fodder for my garbage disposal.  LOL  The 50/50 tank
is doing well, but not showing much new growth.  Needless to say, the 100%
gravel tank is struggling.  Just one woman's opinion.

Growing old is inevitable . . . growing up is optional!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---