mystery fish deaths.

Well I think I found out what was killing fish there.  In addition to adding
the ice melt KCL, i added some plant sticks.  The way the fish were dying
was the definition if nitrite poisoning.  I'm not sure  if it was just this
type of fertilizer sticks but they sure did it.  Some generic think from
wallymart.  (Actually the sticks are "mainstays garden house plant
fertilizer spikes.")  Maybe i put too many in.  I think i added two or
three?   They were buried in the gravel so i forgot about them.  Results
were immediate, fish kicking off within a few hours.  It's a lesson learned
I guess.

One thing I am really noticing is that some plants have a tendency to thrive
while others merely survive in my tank.  I have put the whole tank together
as cheaply as possible.  I quit adding iron and trace elements after I
figured out that with a soil substrate there should be little need for that
and it has slowed algea growth down a lot.  My rotala indicita is huge and
beautiful, the dwarf hygro looks great too and ludwiga repens.  my crypts
won't grow, moneywort won't either.  the swords in the tank grow very
slowly.  Does it just need more food?  thx for the replies btw, josh.