Re: Nitrate test kits

The resolution of expensive test kits has been downplayed as not appropriate
for our use and a waste of money. This is very true - you don't really need
to distinguish or act upon a difference of 3 ppm. Us analytical types find
pleasure in making those kind of measurements but it's not really necessary
to have a succesful planted tank.

However, it goes to reason that if the test kit was designed to have high
resolution, it most likely has been carefully designed to be accurate also.
If it indicates 13.2 ppm, you probably have around 13 ppm.

I'm not sure if I would make the same claim for some of the "hobbyist" kits
floating around.

I would just as soon pay more money for a kit which I feel confident using.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
  The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
      http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com (mirror)
      http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/