Re: A Pond is A Lake is A Dam

Hopkins, Samuel said, in part:

" <Samuel.Hopkins at marconi_com>
> Subject: Re:
>
> Everyone is right that there is a
> gray line between
> the two when you get up there in size. It's possible to
> have a lake and a
> pond that are both 6 acres. However, most tend to agree
> that a lake is:
>
> Deep enough to stop light from penetrating the bottom
> thus stopping the
> spread of rooted aquatic vegetation. This is usually
> around 15 feet deep but
> depends on turbidity.
>
> Have at least one wind/water swept shoreline.
>
> A pond temperature is fairly even from top to bottom.

I wonder if most even think about these things when they
speak of lakes or ponds.  Somehow, I doubt it.

Sounds like a another definition of a technical use of the
term "lake".

It's fine to have definitions of terms for special
purposes, but confusion arises when one mistakes those
special purposes with the ordinary everyday usage, for
which the difference between a pond and a lake is usually
irrevelent and not attached to the terms at all.

Scott H.