Re: Red cherry shrimp questions

Naomi wrote:

>I went to my LFS (Albany Aquarium) yesterday and was led to a tank with
>very cute little newcomers: red cherry shrimp. Of course I had to grab a
>few.

Of course. :)

>The only info I've been able to find is that they "eat a different
>variety of algae than C. japonica" and are a tropical species. Does anybody
>have additional info (from literature and/or personal experience)? Exactly
>what type(s) of algae do they eat? Are they as difficult to breed as C.
>japonica? Scientific nomenclature?

They're a Taiwanese strain of Neocaridina denticulata (aka: Minami Numa
Ebi).  Arizona Aquatic Gardens is selling the red ones now, too, and they
have basic info on their site.  Here's the link:

http://www.azgardens.com/newalgaeaters.htm#Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp

That's probably about as detailed of an info page as you're likely to
find.  I did some minor poking around for info on the "regular" N.
denticulata last Fall, but I never came up with much.  However, among what
info I did manage to scrape up, there's a consensus that they are easy to
breed in an aquarium.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee