Re: Barley Straw and other hee haw

Tom,

That certainly is a good review of previous studies.  I am not arguing any of
them.  I was really just addressing the one or so studies that did seem
positive and then wondered if that success (true or not) would apply to an
aquarium.  That's about it.  I thought your last response (previous to this
one) was also informative.  I for one don't feel qualified to argue with
anything you  have said or experienced first hand.

Let me outline some facts as you have outlined and I will conclude:

1. More studies done on this subject have shown little to no benefit to algae
control than those that did.

2. Despite this fact, marketing of barley straw products, particularly in the
pond industry, has become common and has many proponents.  (would like to
hear form some actual pond hobbysists opinions who have used this.  It would
be interesting to find how many say it is bunk)...my next task at hand

3. Many other methods and practices can be used to actually control algae
that are much more successful.

4. To continue testing and retesting the subject, at least at this point, is
really folly based on the work done thus far.

5.  Learn good aquarium basics and you will go farther than trying to cheat.

Well, how can you argue with that?  As an aside, it has helped me modify the
direction I will take with the article and I appreciate Tom's thoughts.  If
anyone has any other thoughts or opinion...I would be happy to read them
here!

Duane
AquaServe.com