oh help i can't see

I'm on my third fish this week that is dying with the exact same symptoms.
They seem just fine.  Then they start sitting at the surface gasping for
air.  their nose gets red in front of their eyes.  Then they just collapse.
It just takes a hour or two from start to finish.  The last thing i did was
put a teaspoon of KCL from some ice melt in the tank.  Only one fish at a
time.  I would have thought if there was some foreign substance in it that
all of the fish would be affected in some way.  But some are spawning at the
same time.  help?