Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 07:32:13 EST
From: MStark7789 at aol_com
Subject: Crayfish

   Hello
   I maintain a 150 gallon aquarium in my shadehouse
in S.Florida and
added
some  type of crayfish that I got at the lfs.  I
bought 4 and within a
week
they
disappeared without a trace. I suspected they had been
eaten by the
African
cichlids
About two months later I had left the shadehouse door
open which
allowed me
to see the edge of the ground level pool ,also in the
shadehouse. I
could see
little orbs
of red light  moving in the darkness. I got a
flashlight and discovered
the
red orbs were the crayfish moving along the edge of
the pool. They had
built
tunnels along the edge
between the rocks. I captured them and put them back
in the aquarium
but
within
3 days they were back in the pool. They are still
there after 2 years.
Somehow I'd thought crayfish were totally aquatic. Not
the specie I
have.Ive
found them climbing
the vines and trees but always in the dark. During the
day they are
seldom
seen but
always in the water during the day.