CO2 Natural Plant System by Nutrafin

For those of you who bought the CO2 Natural Plant System by Nutrafin, (which
is just a store-bought version of the DIY CO2 system that uses a 2-Liter
soda bottle) I have examined the contents of the Stabilizer and Activator so
I could buy the contents at a grocery store instead of ordering the packets
from Nutrafin. Here is what I discovered:

Stabilizer: 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
Activator: 1/8 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
Sugar: 1/2 cup sugar

I realize buying a DIY system is kind of an oxymoron, but when doing
research and trying to learn it all, one tries everything.

Being fairly new to the hobby, I’m unsure of what the "stabilizer" does, but
I noticed that I didn’t get the common DIY problem of the CO2 spewing into
the tank at the end of the month-long yeast cycle... It also probably helps
a little yeast, sugar, and water go a long way.

Perhaps someone more experienced could explain what the baking soda does in
this concoction...

Kevmo