Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #5 RE: cardinal tetras

> Well, I've read that reason and a dozen other reasons why
>  death after purchase is so common with cardinals --
>  including old age of wild-caught fish, multiple transfers,

I'm not sure old age should be considered. I know that in the wild cardinals
are supposed to only live a year or so but I've been able to keep them alive
and healthy in neutral pH moderately hard water for more than five years.
Don't hiss and jeer, it's the truth. Most fish we keep can have very long
lives in captivity if they are given plenty of room and a healthy diet. In
the wild they are subject to predators and the least little bit of age
related slowness results in them being eaten but in captivity they can live
very long lives. Some fish have actually lived more than 50 years in
captivity an eel lived 88 years. so if your fish die don't blame old age
unless they are annual killies or something like that. Most fish die from
poor husbandry techniques. BTW goldfish can live more than 50 years. it's sad
when you think about all the goldfish that are lucky to live a month.

Moon