Please help finish this sentence

Howdy and Happy New Year!

I'm writing some material for a new web site that I'm building and
I'm working on a sort of aquatic plant and aquarium dictionary (small
but helpful). Anyway, the term I'm looking for is on the tip of my
tongue, but I can't seem to think of it... Help please and feel free
to correct me or suggest a term while you're at it.

"Floating Plants - Plants which float on the surface of the water,
deriving needed nutrients from the water via hairlike structures
called ______. "

The only word that pops into my head is cilia, but those are the
hairs in my nose, so that can't be it. LOL.

Thanks in advance :)

JoAnn

multipart/alternative
  text/html