Mudbugs

We visited friends in south Louisiana over the holidays and came home with
three pet mudbugs (aka crawdads, aka crawfish, aka crayfish). I know the
conventional wisdom is to not put them in an aquarium, but I have a planted
jungle that could use some thinning anyway. But the chef, er, uh, mudbug
wrangler, said that they have to have a way to climb to the surface to grab
some air. I've seen the blue variety in pet store aquariums without any such
structure in the tank. Seems to me, they could just swim up. Any experience,
other than the culinary kind?

TW

BTW, 80 pounds of freshly boiled mudbug is an impressive sight. Tasty too.