Re: LFS in OKC

> Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:07:08 -0600
> From: "Strgazr" <Strgazr at pldi_net>
> Subject: Re: LFS in OKC
>
> There are a few, although no great stand outs.
> Aquarium Concetps 4850 N. MacArthur - good selection of fresh
>    and saltwater fish, great selection of African Cichlids.  Very,
very
>    few plants, although they are priced well and healthy.
> Aquarium Interiors 5619 N. Western - still listed in the phone book
>    but it was owned by an elderly man who had a going out of
>    business to retire sale earlier this year and is probably closed by
>    now.
> Josettes Pets 7917 N. May - good selection of fresh and saltwater,
>    but overpriced, and I don't like the fact that they sell cats and
>    puppies, and fish that are inappropriate for home aquariums, or
>    things like painted glass fish.  Few plants that are outrageously
>    priced and not in very good condition - just thrown into the
>    display aquariums to float.
> Quality Pets 1501 S. Agnew - always listed in the yellow pages,
>    but it is wholesale only.
> Pet Vet Supply (Pet Safari) 1215 E. Lockheed Dr. (MWC) - great
>    selection of fresh and saltwater - no plants.  Very knowledgable
>    about saltwater fish.  Very nice people.
> The Pet Place 8318 S. Western - Very nice people, however the
>    store has gone downhill terribly over the years.  Can barely see
>    into the tanks for the algae.  Very crowded and dirty.  No plants.
> Over the summer, the Petsmarts would have nice plants, but not for
several
> months now.  Let me know if I can tell anything else, I've
> been to every aquarium related store in OKC area, and will expand next
> Shawnee, Lawton, etc.

I would add another LFS to this list but it is in Edmond, about 9 miles
north of OKC.  I think the name is (keeping the above format):

Aquarium Fish & Supply 1702 S. Kelly, Edmond - compared to the rest of
the OKC area LFSs, they have a lot of freshwater fish and some good
plants.  Tanks look good and the fish and plants look healthy.  Plant
selection varies and like most places selection is best when their
orders come in.  However, the owner appears to have a really good source
for plants and she will place custom orders for you.  I ordered from her
once and got some really nice specimens and the portions were far larger
than I expected.  As I recall the price was pretty reasonable too.  The
owner is the only LFS in the area who I know has a planted tank and uses
or has used CO2 (DYI).  IMHO I think this place is worth the trip.  Like
Aquarium Concepts, they are not open every day.  Best to call first.

Having lived in MA when I started with fish, I was sort of spoiled buy
the stores there.  They were pretty big, nicely maintained and had a
pretty large inventory.  No one store around here compares though one
can find most of what you need if you do not mind a little traveling.

I have not been to Pet Vet Supply (will go as soon as I have time now
that I know about it), but would agree to some extent about comments on
the others.  I live near Josette's and Pets Mart so I tend to go there
for everyday stuff (food, filter consumables, etc.).  I have found
healthy plants at both but that may be seasonal (haven't bought any in a
while).  I too think the place on Western is gone.  The guys at Aquarium
Concepts are very knowledgeable and great to deal with - bought my tanks
from them and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  The plants they have
are usually in great shape but the selection is not that large unless
you get there when they get the orders in.  I do not think they will
order stuff for you.

Hope there is a report on the Shawnee and Lawton stores though Lawton is
a long way to go for stuff.

Good luck!
Charles