PO4 and Eusteralis

Hi to you all,
may I throw in my observations concerning PO4 levels and growth behaviour of  Eusteralis stellata. The species of E.S. I want to talk about can be seen at the AGA showcase 2001 site, small category, entry #62. Let me stick to Eusteralis stellata as the name of this particular plant despite some debating on the APD a couple of months ago about whether the name is correct or not. I’ve watched E.S. for two years now and experimented a lot with fertilizer levels. It’s a well known fact that from time to time E.S. stops growing without obvious reason only to put out a couple of new shoots at the tip a few days later.

What I’ve done is I switched PO4 dosings (liquid form) from 1 or 2x a week onto a daily basis. To my surprise since that time (Sept. 02) the plant grew beautifully without stunting any more. I suppose that either high pulses of phosphates in the water column stress Eusteralis or the plant doesn’t like PO4 going all over the place. I concluded phosphates should be kept very stable.

As to grow Eusteralis I suggest adding PO4 daily and to shoot for 0,13 ppm. Phosphates should be tested for about 15 - 20 minutes after fertilization right before the plants have taken in a noticeable portion, but of course after being well distributed in the tank. 8x  0,13 ppm of PO4 add up to 1,04 ppm which is the amount a tank would typically consume in about a weeks time as Tom Barr has pointed out recently.

I should say that I add PO4 from Na2HP04. I really don’t know if the source of PO4 makes any difference.

Other tank parameters

K+            15 - 20 ppm
KNO3                5 ppm
CO2                 30 ppm
Ca:Mg         ~3 : 1
GH/KH            45 ppm
3,4 watts per gal  (3x ADA-NA, 1x Dennerle Trocal 3085)
Fe and traces separately and both daily via ADA products

Anyone else out there having similar experiences (Steve Dixon, Cavan)? Anyone who can grow Eusteralis long-term WITHOUT STUNTING and ALONG WITH fertilization HIGH PO4 amounts two times a week (2x 0,5 ppm) or only once a week (1x 1,0 ppm) ?

I use a very accurate brand of test kit from a german company called Macherey & Nagel
(serves the U.S. market also: Macherey - Nagel, Easton, PA 18042, phone 6105599848)
which allows PO4 levels to be determined down to 0,03 ppm.

Well, may be things aren’t as simple as stated here. But I got the feeling that they are.

Best regards,
Detlef

Mit der Auslands-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail erreichen Sie Ihre Freunde auf
der ganzen Welt - http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021171