Plants in Tampa Bay

I ended my Air Force tour in Tampa in the mid '50s. At that time, I could go
out, after work at McDill AFB, to the point and rent a boat and bucket of
shrimp. "Speckled Trout" ( a weakfish, I think) were abundant just off the
base. There was a heavy growth of some kind of grassy plant that was good
cover for the "trout" and I suspect the salt level was low enough that other
non-algal plants could live there, too.

Any comment from Tom as to what grows now in Tampa Bay and local environs?
Even in those days, Water Hyacinth tended to dominate any semi-still, fresh
water near the bay. I raise a few brackish fish species and always want to
find salt-tolerant plants for them. Suggestions?

I'll be surprised if that Val-like grass was really an algal species.

Wright

PS. I'll save my SF Bay questions for when Tom comes through with a good
answer to this one. <VBG>
--

      We have a million monkeys typing on a million keyboards.
        The 'net still does not look much like Shakespeare.

                  http://www.sfbaka.net/