Re: UndergraverHeater

>I have just ordered a tank 80x50x40
>
>Now im thinking of adding an undergravelheater, only my aquaruim store said
>I shoudnt use it because if it broke I had to tear down my whole tank and he
>never noticed any growth improvement

There are some excellent articles and other info on this topic at
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Tech/ and
http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/. There seems to be a lot of argument
over whether cable heating helps or does nothing useful. I lean towards the
"better long-term stability" argument (and I think the cable heaters do a
good job of evenly heating the tank and thus avoiding hot and cold spots in
the water) myself.

I'm not a big fan of the line-voltage (120v/240v) undergravel cables, but I
think the low-voltage cables can be helpful. I haven't heard of many
problems with the cables breaking provided the cables are suitable, which
usually only applies to DIY cables that were made with unsuitable types of
wire. If you want to DIY a cable I can offer some advise but I'll save the
bandwidth until asked ;-)

         -Bill

>How do you all think about it ?
>
>Will