Re: Screw-in CF Bulbs

BErney asks:

>> Has anyone found self ballasted screw in cf bulbs useful in small plant
tanks?
>> If so, what bulb works?

They work just fine, but the light is a little yellow (2800*K).  The plants
don't care about that; all they want is light and lots of it.  I have heard
that Lights of America has come out with a 5000*K line of screw in cf bulbs,
but they haven't shown up at my Walmart yet.  I like the 45w bulbs.  I have 3
of them mounted inside the wooden hood over a 29g, and that gives me a cheap
source of 3 watts per gallon.  I have also experimented with reptile hoods,
where there are 2 sockets for screw-ins, and 1 fluorescent strip.  To help
neutralize the yellow, I've experimented with reef lamps in the fluorescent
strip, while using the regular 32 or 45w screw-in cf's.  The blue of the reef
light neutralizes much of the yellow, giving a very bright reasonable
approximation of daylight.  The plants seem to love it.  The bulbs seem to
get even more yellow with age, so you'll want to replace them every 8 months
or so, moving the old yellow lights out to the garage or washroom, and
installing fresh new cf's over the aquarium.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---