Re: oxalic acid/graphite

Colin Gorton wrote:
>Finally, If I'm wrong on everything else I'd guess that Titanium might be
>a neat electrode, but drilling it would be a pretty tough prospect, I
>remember trying this once and ended up giving up after destroying three
>drill bits and the drill (it was a cheap one:-)).

You can drill it with the so-called cobalt bits. It drills like a hard
stainless steel (316 alloy is similar). I've only ever tried on a drill
press though, I would suspect it would be quite difficult to work with if
you only have a hand held drill.

>         I think I can guarantee that titanium will _not_ work.  The
>titanium II and III electrode potentials are much worse than those
>for iron.
>
>--
>Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada

Probably what I get for not looking up the potentials :-) Titanium is
pretty corrosion resistant on it's own in "normal" (structure/hardware/etc)
applications so I didn't think to check on it.

         -Bill

Waveform Technology
UNIX Systems Administrator