Re: Java fern leaf tips transparent

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:34:07AM -0600, Brown_D at pcfnotes1_wustl.edu wrote:

> I checked a few online lists of plant nutrient deficiency symptoms, but
> none sound exactly like what is happening to some java fern leaves:  the
> overall plant is lush and growing rapidly, but the tips of a few older
> leaves are becoming transparent without not turning color.  No other plants
> in the tank are doing anything similar.  Lighting is 2.7 WPG, fertilization
> with PMDD dosed daily, injected CO2, water changes 40% weekly.  Leaf
> changes noticed around the same time that 1-3mm white conical shelled
> snails appeared in the tank (botia striata notwithstanding).  Does this
> sound like a nutrient deficiency?  Snail damage?   I have no web page to
> post pics but can e-mail directly if anyone would like to see them.

I have the same "problem" with small-leaf java fern. Don't know if
it's really a problem, because there's no other signs of deficiency
and it grows well. Anyway, this is probably some kind of deficiency,
can't think of anything else..
PMDD and CO2 here as well, NO3 6-10ppm, PO4 0,2ppm, traces, 1,8WPG.
Sure not snails.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts at estpak_ee